Books on Early Explorers in WA

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 18, 2009 at 20:18
ThreadID: 70775 Views:2532 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Browsing through the Travel magazine in this morning's West Australian newspaper I saw a paragraph on the release of some new books about early explorers in WA.

I know a lot of EO members like retracing their exploits. The titles mentioned were:

"The Finest Goldfields in the World" about the Murchison District.

"Desert, Drought and Death".

"Evidences of an Inland Sea".

details are available at:

Western Australian Explorers

and,

Hesperian Press.

I expect they would be interesting reading.

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, Jul 18, 2009 at 21:03

Saturday, Jul 18, 2009 at 21:03
Yes saw that, cut it out this morning.

The launch is on Wednesday week at the library - hopefully after work. I know at least one Exploroz member is on the executive commitee. There should be some interesting people there.

Cheers

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 375112

Reply By: curious - Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 09:44

Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 09:44
Thanks for the info, Gone Bush. Those early stories make the country that we visit, really come alive as well as a heightened respect for their courage and persistence.

Must admit I'm a fan of Hesperian Press and the books they publish. I stumbled upon them after buying some books at a museum at Whim Creek. I particularly like the stories written by "ordinary" people such as pastoralists or policemen as they describe everyday life. It's inspirational and far from ordinary.

Westprint also have some great books; no affiliation with either publisher, I'm just keenly interested in Australian history.
AnswerID: 375144

Reply By: Ray - Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 20:05

Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 20:05
I wonder if they needed permits?
AnswerID: 375251

Reply By: Flywest - Monday, Jul 20, 2009 at 13:29

Monday, Jul 20, 2009 at 13:29
The missing early history of our martime arrivals from Holland is what i find fascinating.

What ever became of the 170 odd "Gilt Dragon Survivors" who beached at Ledge Point about 60 odd miles north of Perth?...

There were at east 6 trunks of silver coin bullion buried there in the sand dunes, and ONE dutch guilder later found a few miles south along the beach at Moore River (later Re - Named Guilder Town) "Guilderton" only 50 miles north of Perth.

Obviously in this waterless desert nation - they would have headed with the local aboriginals to the nearest fresh water - moore river.

Did they interbreed with the local aboriginals?...

There's a LOT of evidence they did - and that they travelled as far south as Mullaloo / Burns beach area.

What of the 70 or 80 survivors of the Zuyptdorf above kalbarri?

What of the two lads left behind at Hut River by Paelsart after the Abrolhos Island massacre of Batavia survivors?

Our REAL history is as yet largely unwritten.

Doesn't mean it isn't known, just not written yet!

Who was seaman H?

So many mysteries.

Cheers

Cheers
AnswerID: 375378

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2009 at 11:25

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2009 at 11:25
Fly, there are certainly some interesting mysteries from way back in WA's history.

What about the picture of a ship on Walga Rock? Modern? Old? Done by aborigines who had seen a ship or by shipwrecked crew?

Image Could Not Be Found

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 375508

Reply By: Flywest - Wednesday, Jul 29, 2009 at 00:58

Wednesday, Jul 29, 2009 at 00:58
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Inappropriate Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 376624

Sponsored Links